Summer is coming to an end. The summer weather may continue, but the kids will soon be back in school and the lazy days of summer will quickly come to a close.
1) Make ice cream! Try this homemade recipe from the SMSU Culinology department. (Be aware, you’ll have to scroll down through the peach cobbler recipe.)
3) Take a day trip to a local park. Choose one that has a lake or river and have a rock skipping contest with your kids! Learn more about parks featured on Our State Parks: Minnesota River Sensations and see which one is close enough for you to explore.
4) Pick a new game to play. Spend some time playing it every day and master it. Set your kids up on pbskids.org and let them play all the free–and educational–games they want!
5) In honor of this year’s summer Olympics, hold an Olympic decathlon at home.
6) Escape the heat. Check out a local museum or head to the pool for the day!
7) Have a summer picnic. Get out the picnic blanket and basket, grab some yard games and don’t forget the sunblock! Thinking of bringing potato salad on your outing? Then be sure to make try this recipe.
8) Take in a music festival like WeFest. Many festivals offer day passes so you can come for the day.
9) Get front row seats at a water ski show. The Little Crow ski team of New London, Minn., puts on a great show!
10) Relax. Pick one day and don’t do a thing. Bask in the fact that you don’t have to do a thing!
From our Pioneer family to yours, enjoy the rest of your summer!